Doctor Discussion Guide
During your meeting with your doctor to discuss IVF treatment, he or she will ask you many questions regarding your medical history and personal life. You and your partner should be prepared to discuss these subjects in detail. In addition, to get the most out of your consultation, you should think about questions you may have for your doctor. Here are some topics you may want to cover.
Questions about your doctor and the places where your treatment will occur
- Are your educational background and training specific to treating fertility issues?
- Why did you become involved with IVF treatment?
- How long have you been treating fertility issues?
- What is your success rate with couples like us?
- Would we be able to begin treatment right away?
- What can we expect regarding communications with you? Do you use text messages, e-mail, phone calls? Will you respond in person if we want you to? How soon will you respond?
- If you are not available, who else could I communicate with, and when would be the best times?
- Are you available on weekends/holidays? What are your office hours?
- Could you tell me about your office/clinic? How many patients/doctors/nurses are involved?
- Could you tell me about your colleagues, assistants, nurses, staff?
- Do you offer services such as yoga or nutrition counseling?
- Would you recommend psychological counseling throughout the process?
- Do you provide educational/support materials?
Questions about the IVF procedures and testing
- What is your process for diagnosing our fertility issues?
- What are the first tests you do?
- What other tests should we expect?
- Could you describe these tests?
- Where will the tests occur?
- What other things should we expect before we start the actual procedures?
- Will you recommend changes to our lifestyle or daily routines?
- Once you have done the testing, what happens next?
- What exactly is an IVF protocol?
- What is an “IVF cycle”?
- What types of medications might you prescribe?
- What side effects may occur?
- Do you do genetic testing on the embryos?
- What kinds of things would you be testing for?
- Do you do the genetic testing and analysis, or do you have outside experts or a staff geneticist help with the testing?
- Do you typically do more fresh or frozen embryo transfers?
- Would you recommend genetic testing for us?
- How many embryos do you typically transfer in a patient like me?
- Do you have any materials to share or recommendations of places to look for more information on IVF and genetic testing?
Visit About IVF for more information on tests and diagnosis and IVF protocols.
Questions about the costs of treatment
- How much does testing cost?
- Do different tests have different costs?
- How about the cost of genetic testing?
- Will we have options regarding the tests we need/want to have?
- What insurance plans do you accept?
- In your experience with others, has insurance helped cover their expenses?
- Are there any savings programs or “package deals” that can help reduce our expenses?
- Are you aware of any programs to help with payment for treatment?
Refer to Paying for treatment for more information and questions on treatment costs.
Doctor discussion guide